What are Starch Blockers? How Do They Cause Weight Loss?
Dietary and weight loss supplements described as “starch blockers” or “carb blockers” are starch-enzyme blockers. They are typically designed to inhibit production of alpha-amylase – the body’s starch-digesting enzyme.
To do this, starch-blockers commonly contain phaseolamin, an extract from the white kidney bean. The idea is that starch-blockers inhibit the breakdown of carbs into sugar and thus the starches (carbs) are excreted from the body before they can enter the bloodstream.
This, say manufacturers, leads to better calorie control, improved blood sugar levels and faster weight loss. Sales of starch blockers have jumped almost tenfold in recent years, stimulated no doubt by the low-carb dieting fashion.
Do Starch-Blockers Really Reduce Weight?
Yes. According to sellers of starch blockers, the supplements reduce between 30 and 45 grams of starches from entering the body.
No. According to critics, starch blockers, regardless of brand name, may work in the laboratory, but they are broken down by the digestive system before they can effectively neutralize starches in our diet.
Do Starch Blockers Have Side Effects?
Manufacturers of starch blockers list side effects such as gastrointestinal distress, heartburn, excessive gas and diarrhea.
An effective carb blocker usually addresses weight loss on 2 fronts.
- It contains an appetite suppressant. This has the effect of reducing calorie consumption by diminishing appetite so you won’t fall prey to the hunger pangs that usually accompany restricted calorie intake.
- It reduces carbohydrate absorption. Though the appetite suppressant will already have reduced your caloric consumption, the carb blocker will prevent up to 82% of the remaining carbs from being absorbed into your system.
Weight Loss Studies on Starch Blockers
There remains doubt as to how effective starch blockers are for weight control. More weight loss studies are needed. Meantime, if you have tried and failed to lose weight with conventional weight loss programs, you may care to give starch blockers a try.
However, for best weight loss results, remember to combine your use of carb blockers with a healthy diet and exercise program. Starch blockers, carb blockers, diet pills and weight loss supplements are not yet a substitute for a healthy lifestyle.
Samples of Weight Loss Research into Starch Blockers
[Note: More starch blocker studies pro/con gratefully received.]
- A 1982 study tested the ability of starch blockers to reduce absorption of a high-carb meal of spaghetti sauce, pasta and bread. Published in the New England Journal of Medicine, the study concluded that starch blockers “do not inhibit the digestion and absorption of starch calories in human beings.”
- One recent study published in the Journal of Internal Medicine Research finds some weight-loss benefits to a starch blocker.
- According to George Blackburn, associate director of nutrition at the Harvard Medical School, starch blockers “are unproven, unscientific and unsafe.” The dietary supplements are the subject of a lawsuit by the Maine attorney general’s office and are also under scrutiny from federal regulators.
Best Carb Blocker on the Market
An increasing number of positive reviews on Carb Blockers can attest to the growing popularity of the Carb Blocker supplement.
In a landscape previously dominated by metabolizers, fat inhibitors and appetite suppressants, the carb blocker is the logical answer for those who believe that controlling carbohydrates should be the main focus of their weight loss efforts.
We found Meratol as the Best Starch Blocker on the market available. Check its review below
Meratol is really an all-natural Starch Blocker for weight management as well as the prevention and treatment of obesity.
It is made up of a combination of 4 active proven elements which work together to assist you to attain optimum final results.
Extremely concentrated and standard glycoprotein complex created from Seaweed extract source, which is proven clinically to lessen the absorption of as much as 82 percent of total carbohydrates, Capsiplex plus blend shown to burn up to twelve times more calories from fat, Prickly pear extract to enhance rate of metabolism, and Cactus extract to help in reducing fluid retention.
With a lesser amount of carbohydrate food absorbed, elevated metabolic process and excess fluid decrease within your body you shed unwanted weight. So, along with a sensible diet plan as well as an exercise program, Meratol will assist you to shed and control your weight.
Meratol™ works with your metabolism to provide a complete weight loss solution that targets the 4 main areas of weight loss. Unlike the many harmful weight loss pills and diets available, Meratol™ takes a completely natural approach to losing weight. Meratol™ is able to provide powerful and natural weight loss by:
- Reducing food cravings
- Blocking Carbohydrate intake
- Controlling calorie intake
- Speeding up metabolism
- Suppressing appetite
- Burning Calories